Want to visit this island paradise but put off by the sky-high price tag? Donna Richardson reveals how to visit on the cheap…
1. Swim with whale sharks or manta rays. The Maldives is one of the few places where you can snorkel alongside these gentle giants.
2. Visit a traditional Maldivian village to meet the locals.
3. Explore the country’s capital, Malé.
4. Join local fishermen on a deep-sea fishing trip.
5. Take to the sea on board a dhoni, a traditional wooden sailboat.
6. For the ultimate romantic treat, enjoy a sunset champagne cruise while spotting dolphins and flying fish.
7. Adopt your own coral reef at one of the local resorts.
8. Be a castaway. Most resorts offer the option of time on a deserted island.
9. Cross the equator – flying to Gan you cross the equator
10. Surf the breaks in Male, or take a surf safari to the other atolls
A version of this appeared in Wanderlust Magazine